A Place In History
The Latch Inn and Restaurant, on Harbour Road in Sidney, is steeped in history and a glamourous past. In 1925, the Lieutenant-Governor of British Columbia, Walter C. Nichol, commissioned famous architect Samuel Maclure to build him a summer home on a piece of forested property on the Saanich peninsula. The residence, completed in 1926 and coined ‘Miraloma’, was a brilliant confluence of the environment and artistic design. Even today, it oozes an old-world elegance and charm. Once the playground for the upper crust, it hosted sumptuous garden parties and welcomed visits from dignitaries and royalty. Edward, the Prince of Wales, and his brother George enjoyed the classy and comfortable accommodation in a state tour of British Columbia in 1927. In the 1940s, it became known as ‘The Latch’, reflecting the fact that every door in the house is opened with a latch and iron key.